Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Ansel Adams and PS Calculations

In 1966 while I was in the 5th grade, I recall a weekly current events assignment I read to my classmates on Ansel Adams. Our school was quite advanced for the day, relative to the other government schools in my area.

We enjoyed a typing class, which I was the only boy in the room, a chess class, a cool science room where we watched films on the universe including "Mr. Sun" and his cartoons on the dilation of time, and last but not least, my favorite, a once a week hour on photography!

About 3 years ago I shredded my first black and white prints from this early time period of my life while "weeding" out a closet. I don't know what I was thinking and it is quite regretful every time I think about it.


For those photographers new to Photoshop, there is a built in "Ansel Adams" tool. Well it's not really called that, but it is amazing the AA look and feel you can attain by using "Calculations" located under the "Image" tab.

There are many different options you can play with and can start by changing channels and blending modes. A much greater range in depth of creativity and some cool effects can be accomplished by using the Calculations tool, much more than by just removing the saturation out of a color image! Warning: This can be addictive. :)

A dear photographer friend sent me this Ansel Adams YouTube video. A soft spoken and brilliant minded photographer in his own few words shortly before his death. Thank you Laurie!



We must remember that a photograph can hold just as much as we put into it, and no one has ever approached the full possibilities of the medium.
~Ansel Adams