Friday, April 24, 2009

Backing up our memories

You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why, because your hard drive will crash when you least expect it and need it the most!

I typically maintain a monthly differential backup for my work, however, I procrastinated a couple of months and in effect have lost hundreds of digital images that I will never see again. These "lost" files included all of the images I have taken in the past 8-10 weeks including my grandson's first birthday party, not to mention several special images that I was currently working on.

On the bright side, all was not lost as I have rediscovered images I deleted on another drive from several years ago -- like finding old rolls of undeveloped film back in the old days you long forgot about. :)


I have also talked with my daughter about contacting others who attended my grandson's birthday who were taking pictures and hopefully will find some cherished images of that memorable and special day!

I have subsequently installed Norton's "Ghost" program which can back up not only your important images and files but your entire drive, including operating system! Hopefully this new process will increase speed, efficiency and the obvious redundancy will be comforting. I will review Norton Ghost in a future post for any who may be looking for more protection with their digital images.





Keeping Perspective: Thanks to my friend Stacey Childs for the above reminder. For all who need an inspirational boost, watch the video.... you'll be glad you did.

Stacey is editor of the online digital magazine "Disco Underworld"; a wonderful online digital magazine for both the artist and photographer alike. If you haven't seen Disco Underworld you can check them out at http://www.discounderworld.com.