Friday, February 20, 2009

Photographic Style and Inspiration

In the words of photographer Duane Michals, "Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be."

It has been written how Michals's unconventional approach to photography set him apart as a photographer. This may be true but I believe all serious photographers are unique in style and perspective to all astute observers of the art of photography.

Just as we can learn something new from everyone we meet if we listen more than we speak, we can also learn from each photograph if we just really look and "see".

I have a little game I play when I am viewing images from my friends and contacts on Flickr (www.slimeface.com) where I cover up the name and see if I can identify the photographer to the image. Many times I am successful at this because I know my favorite photographer's "style".

This site is dedicated to the photographers I have discovered over the past few years. Their stories, their lives and their images continue to be an inspiration and influence to my work!